Welcome to the Library Home Page!
Hello parents and colleagues! My name is Bernadette Delfin, and I am the Head Librarian, the one in charge for taking care of all your children’s library needs for Saint Bernard’s Elementary School Library. I graduated in 2007 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English – Rhetoric & Composition from California State University, Long Beach (CSULB) with honors (Cum Laude). Shortly afterwards, I graduated in 2009 with a Master of Library and Information Science degree from San José State University (SJSU). I am also an alumna of Saint Bernard’s Elementary School.
As the Head Librarian for Saint Bernard’s Elementary School who has worked on the library from 2015-Present, I have:
- Establish both a printed and free electronic organizational system for classifying all of the library materials since the library has been in disarray for several years, all the former librarian’s printed and electronic record keeping was destroyed prior to me working there, and there was no precedent electronic system put in place for how to classify and to sort out all the library materials let alone one that could record electronically all of my library patrons names as well as their overdue library late fees;
- Found a free electronic library record keeping system that allows me to personalize how I want to classify and sort my library materials to make it easier for me to search for library materials that the children are looking for as well as to keep track of any of my library patrons’ overdue library late fees;
- Classify and label properly all the children’s library materials by making sure that all the necessary information, such as the title, author’s full name, type of library material, appropriate Dewey Decimal Number, and the cost of the item are noted on the library card and library pocket for every library material;
- Create an additional library material cover label with its specific copy number noted as part of the standard general library classification layout for handling duplicate library material copies;
- Explain to the other library volunteers who are untrained senior citizens my standard general library classification layout for putting back the library cards and returned materials for handling duplicate copies to make sure that the library card’s copy number matches the one on the library material to prevent misclassification;
- Choose and prepare each week age appropriate children’s books to check out during their library time.
My overall goal as the head librarian for Saint Bernard’s Elementary School Library will be to strive for creating the best possible educational and safe environment for your children to learn from. Please feel free to ask me any questions or to let me know if you have any concerns. Thank you!