What is the Catholic Academic Junior High Decathlon?
- The Academic Junior High Decathlon is a one-day competition for Catholic School students in grades 6-8. This year the event will be in-person where available and online/virtual for schools not in the vicinity of an in-person event.
- Schools register online – 2 options – 1. with 10 students on a team participating in the full day, or 2. with 1-5 students competing in Individual Subject tests only as a POD (Part of Decathlon)
- There are 10 events:
- Two are collaborative team efforts – a Logic Quiz with 20 rigorous thinking problems, and a Super Quiz with 50 multiple choice questions on five broad academic themes.
- The remaining eight events test individual knowledge of the Roman Catholic doctrine, English, Literature, Science, Mathematics, Current Events, Social Studies, and Fine Arts (Art and Music).
- Topics for these events are available on a Resource List in October.
- Study Guides (practice tests and guidance) are available for purchase separately, also in October.
- Awards are given for individual and team performance, and the winning school team from each geographic arch/diocese, and winners of individual subject tests competes in a National championship which is held shortly after the main competition.